UNIVERSITY PATHWAY PROGRAM
Study in the Tamwood University Pathway Program and secure conditional admission into one of our partner universities or colleges, or use this program to improve your IELTS score and academic English skills for admission to other post secondary institutions.
This program effectively prepares students for North American post-secondary education and teaches advanced oral and written English skills, as well as IELTS preparation. It is dynamic, wide ranging, comprehensive and academically rigorous.
The courses cover key academic skills including:
- Effective participation in class
- Critical thinking
- Finding and evaluating resources
- Presentation and discussion skills
- Summarizing, paraphrasing, synthesizing and cross-referencing
- Writing essays
- Conducting quantitative research and surveys, ethics in research, presenting research and writing reports
- Referencing and avoiding plagiarism.
The UPP program prepares students for all aspects of life at university, not just in the classroom. It provides guidance in a range of areas:
- Choosing a university and the application process
- Time management, dealing with stress
- Learning from mistakes
- Dealing with professors
- Writing letters, emails and applications
- Using student support services
- Volunteering and extra-curricular activities, and many more.
The program provides benefits for students and graduates.
- receive weekly assessment and counselling, as well as assistance with applications
- go on tours of universities
- have the opportunity to hear talks by visiting speakers.
- receive a regular newsletter
- can contact the UPP staff at Tamwood for advice or support even after they graduate.
Students graduate from this program with
- A sense of achievement: completing a challenging and wide-ranging course, learning new skills to help realize their dreams
- Peace of mind: knowing they are prepared for the challenges of post secondary education abroad
- Confidence: knowing what colleges and universities expect, how to make a successful application, and how to deal with challenges they will face when they get in
- Support: in applying to, preparing for, and studying at university
Tamwood University Pathway Program consists of 2 levels:
Pre-University Pathway Program (Pre-UPP)
12 weeks - 32 lessons / week - successful graduates can achieve an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher and can progress to UPP or directly into specific university/college programs.
Entry Requirement: high intermediate English (IELTS 5-5.5) 1
University Pathway Program
12 weeks - 32 lessons/week - successful graduates achieve an IELTS 6.5 or higher and enter a university or college program.
Entry Requirement: Low advanced English (IELTS 5.5-6) 2
University / College Partners
Take this pre-university program to meet the English skills condition for admission to a post secondary institution offering:
- Bachelor Degrees
- College Diplomas and Certificates
- MBA and Masters Degrees and Post Graduate Diplomas
Tamwood has two types of agreements with University and College partners*.
*Agreements vary depending on the partner school. Please contact a Tamwood representative for details.
- University/College accepts Tamwood’s Pre-UPP or UPP graduates (NO IELTS or TOEFL requirement) AND issues Conditional Acceptance Letters for Tamwood students.
- University/College issues Conditional Acceptance letters before Pre-UPP/UPP students have the required TOEFL or IELTS. This gives Tamwood students the advantage of knowing they have a space reserved in their chosen program. Students must submit IELTS or TOEFL score to gain admission to their chosen academic program.
1 Beginner to intermediate students join the General English program until they reach a high intermediate level and can join pre-UPP
2 Students who test just below the low advanced level might only need 4-8weeks of pre-UPP before being eligible to join the UPP. Such students will assessed weekly and moved to the UPP when ready
||Royal Roads University (Victoria, BC)
Popular degrees: Bachelor of Business Administration in Sustainability and International Business, Master of Arts In Tourism Management, Bachelor of Arts in International Hotel Management
||Vancouver Island University (Nanaimo, BC)
Popular Programs: co-operative education and internships in programs such as Culinary Arts, Computer Science, Tourism, Hospitality, Fisheries & Aquaculture, Interior Design, or Graphic Design.
||Acsenda School of Management (Vancouver, BC)
Popular Programs: Degrees and diplomas in Business Administration
||Brighton College (Vancouver, Surrey and Burnaby, BC)
Popular Programs: Diplomas and Certificates in Engineering, Business, Trade, Technology, Marketing, Accounting, Hospitality and Healthcare.
||Langara College (Vancouver, BC)
Langara does not offer conditional acceptance
Popular Programs: University of British Columbia (UBC) Transfer Program
||Institute of Technology Design and Management (Vancouver, BC)
Popular Programs: Hospitality Management, Interior Design, Jewellery Design, Graphic Design, Graphic and Web Development
||Kwantlen Polytechnic University (Richmond BC, Surrey BC, Cloverdale BC, Langley BC)
Popular Programs: Bachelor of Arts in Criminology, Accounting BBA, Marketing Management BBA, Sustainable Agriculture: Bachelor of Applied Science
||Executive Hotel Management College (Vancouver, BC)
Popular Programs: 1-Year Hotel Management Diploma + Practical Work Placement, Dual Hotel/Food & Beverage Diploma+ Paid Co-Op Placement
||College of the Rockies (Cranbrook, BC)
Popular degrees: Tourism and Recreation Management, College Preparation/ BC Adult Graduate Diploma, Graduate Certificate in Global Studies
||Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (Calgary, AB)
Popular degrees: Bachelor of Applied Business Administration, Bachelor of Applied Technology, Bachelor of Applied Information Technology, Bachelor of Applied Technology (Petroleum Engineering).
||Conestoga College (Kitchener, ON)
Popular programs: Bachelor of Business Administration (Co-op), Architecture - Project and Facility Management (Co-op), Interior Design (Co-op)
||Brescia University College (University of Western Ontario), (London, ON)
Popular programs: Leadership, Management and Organizational Studies, Nutrition and Dietetics (BSc), Food Science & Technology (BSc), Community Development, Sociology of Law, Crime & Deviance, Psychology, Crime and Communities, French for Teaching, Health Sciences & Kinesiology, English Language and Literature
||Cambrian College (Brampton ON, Sudbury ON, Vancouver BC)
Popular programs: Business Accounting Diploma, Graphic Design Advanced Diploma, Network Technician Diploma
||Algoma University (Sault St. Marie, ON)
Popular programs: Computer Game Technology, Business Systems Management (Business & Computer Science) Community, Economic & Social Development Finance & Economics Biology (Invasive Species), Psychology
||Georgian College (Barrie, ON)
Popular programs: Automotive Management, Aviation Management, Health Sciences and Marine programs
||Confederation College (Thunder Bay, ON)
Popular Programs: Diploma, Certificate and Apprenticeship programs, academic upgrading
||Bishop's University (Sherbrooke, QC)
Popular programs: Bachelor of Business Administration, programs in the areas of economics, environmental studies and geography, politics and international studies, psychology, sociology and sports studies
||University of Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, PEI)
Popular programs: Business, Computer Science and Biology
||Acadia University (Wolfville, NS)
Popular programs: Biology, Kinesiology, Nutrition & Dietetics, Business, Psychology, Engineering
||Lincoln University (San Francisco Bay, Oakland, CA, USA)
Popular programs: Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Business Administration
||Northwest Missouri State University (Maryville, MO, USA)
The most popular majors at Northwest Missouri State University include: Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Education; Psychology; Agriculture, Agriculture Operations, and Related Sciences; and Parks, Recreation, Leisure, and Fitness Studies.
||Guilford College (Greensboro, NC, USA)
The most popular majors at Guilford College include: Psychology, Business Admin & Management, Biology, Criminal Justice, Accounting, Health Sciences
||Unity College (ME, USA )
Popular programs: Captive Wildlife Care and Education, Conservation Law Enforcement, Earth and Environmental Science, Marine Biology.
||New York Institute of Technology (Vancouver, BC)
Popular programs: MBA, MS in Information, Network and Computer Security
||Fraser International College (Burnaby, BC)
Popular programs: Arts and Social Science, Computer Science, Business, Engineering Science, Environment, Health Science, Associate of Arts Degree and Pre MBA
||University of Regina (Regina, SK)
Popular programs: Arts, Education, Science, Kinesiology, Social Work, Business Administration
||Lambton College (Sarnia, ON)
Popular programs: Hospitality & Tourism Management, Health Sciences, Creative Design, Business and Information Technology